Harris is home to students from around the globe, and it’s common for our international students to have unique questions. All interested students can find a complete FAQ here, but below is a round-up of the questions we most commonly receive from interested international students:
· Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS? Please visit the university’s TOELF/IELTS waiver requirements here. If you do not fall within the parameters listed by this policy, you will need to submit an official TOEFL/IELTS score for your application to be considered complete.
· What is Harris’ English language requirement? Applicants may submit either the TOEFL or IELTS to meet the English language requirement set by the university. Test scores must be sent directly to Harris using code 1849. The minimum score requirements for each exam are as follow: TOEFL-overall score of 107 with a minimum of 26 in each subsection. IELTS-overall score of 7 with a minimum of 7 in each subsection.
· My TOEFL score is below the university requirement. Can I still apply with this score? For applicants whose TOEFL/IELTS score falls below the university requirements, we ask that you submit a short 2-minute video statement with your application. When completing the application, after you enter your TOEFL/IELTS score, a link to record your video statement should automatically populate.
· Can my test scores arrive late? If you believe that your test score will arrive after the application deadline, please let our office know and we will determine if a short grace period can be provided for the time it will take your score to arrive. Please note that you should apply within the application round that best fits your needs. If your test score does not arrive in the specified grace period after the application deadline, we will roll your application to the next round without penalty.
· I do not see the video statement – what can I do? The application process is dynamic, and you may not see the video portion available when you first begin the application. As you move through the application, if you do not meet the language proficiency requirements, you should be prompted to upload the video. If you have issues uploading the video please contact email@example.com
· I am having issues with uploading the video statement to the application. What can I do. We understand that technical difficulties happen from time to time when uploading video statements. As such, you can record your 2-minute video statement in another platform such as Youtube and send us the link. After you have submitted the application, when you log back into the application portal, you will see the Upload Materials function. You may use this to upload a word document that includes the link to your video statement.
· What are your transcript requirements for foreign credit? You will be allowed to submit unofficial transcripts through the electronic application process; however, official transcripts will be required upon admission for enrolling students. Please submit transcripts for all prior academic work from any institution of higher education. Foreign credentials must also be accompanied by an official translation.
· Can I submit my foreign credential evaluation (WES) instead of my transcripts? Students cannot submit a foreign credential evaluation INSTEAD of their transcripts, but they can submit this information in addition to their transcripts.
Outside of questions on the application process, we strongly encourage students to visit The Office of International Affairs website. They provide detailed information students on daily life as a student at the University of Chicago as well as information for F and J students at various stages in the enrollment process. If you have additional questions or concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org